Thursday, September 25, 2014

Whom God Calls, He Qualifies


Whom God Calls, He Qualifies
(Genesis 4-6 and Moses 6-7)

How did the Lord describe the people of Enoch's day in Moses 6:26-31? 
The people in these verses have made God angry with them because their hearts are not turned towards God. This people are not listening and living the way that our God has commanded us.  Throughout the generations this people had turned away from God and toward the things of the world. They enjoyed sinning and enjoyed the things that they were commanded not to do. They became a wicked people and God is telling Enoch that he needs to teach this people to repent or God has prepared a hell for them. 

What did Enoch say about his calling from the Lord?
Enoch asked why God found favor in him. He was confused because of his young age and because the people did not like him, they hated him. He was confused in the reason God chose him for this calling or purpose. 

Describe in writing how the Lord strengthened and sustained Enoch. ( Moses 6:32-39, 47; 7:13-18, 69)
God told Enoch that if he did what he was commanded then no harm would come upon him. Enoch was told that he would give him the words in which to say. God told Enoch that he would have the Spirit with him and that everything that Enoch says He will justify them. The most comforting thing I would think is in verse 34 of chapter 6. "...and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you; therefore walk with me." Then the Lord had Enoch anoint his eyes with clay and wash them so that Enoch may see, and Enoch obeyed. This was a way that the Lord sustained Enoch, because of this Enoch was able to behold spirits that God had created and seen things that are not visible to the natural eye.  

Then Enoch went among the people and taught them and testified against the things they were doing. This offended the people. Which makes complete sense, Enoch was saying the way they were living was wrong and if they didn't repent God would send them to hell. People came from all over to listen to Enoch and just like God had promised Enoch, no man laid a single hand on him and Enoch was able to say what needed to be said, and he walked with God. From a few of these verses I get the feeling that the people knew from the Spirit that what Enoch said was from God. Take Moses 6:47 for example. The people didn't have to like it but they knew it was from God. 

It was because of the faith Enoch had and the trust that he put into the Lord that he was able to do what the Lord asked him to do. This didn't end up in everybody repenting and coming unto Christ, there was lots of bloodshot and war, but the "fear of the Lord was upon all nations... and great was the glory of the Lord." Enoch did however find a group of people that the Lord called his people Zion because they were of "one heart and of one mind." 

Write a paragraph of two on how you have seen the Lord do similar things for you or someone you know. 
There have been many times that I thought, I can't do this, I can't stand up for what is right although the world is telling me different, but every time, without fail, God helps me find the strength to do what he has asked me. God will always find a way and help you do what He has commanded you. 

An experience that comes to mind is when I was in high school. The people who know me know that dance was my life. I danced every day, year round all through high school. I danced with a private studio and I taught dance. Dance was my life and I loved it! There were a few outfits however that I did not feel comfortable wearing. It may have been partly because I was not a stick, but the main reason was because I didn't feel like God would be proud of me if I wore that outfit. I also didn't want the little girls I taught to look at me and think that it was okay for them to dress that way. I didn't like the image that I was putting forward. I thought about this for a few days and was scared that if I said something I wouldn't be able to dance. I was a younger member of the team and I didn't know what to do, all the other girls seemed fine with it. 

I finally decided to go to my coach and I simply told her that it would be okay and I would understand if she took me out of the dance but I wasn't comfortable wearing that outfit. My coach had no idea I felt that way and felt sorry. She was so great about it and it turned out awesome and I was still able to dance. I found out a little while later that other girls on my teach felt the same way but didn't want to say anything. I was glad that God gave me the courage to stick up for what I thought and give me the right words. I was glad that I was an example to both the younger and older girls. 

Another example of how the Lord helps me is in my simple everyday life. There are times when I know something needs done or said and I feel like I can't do it. I pray to my Heavenly Father and tell him that I need Him, that I need His help. And the amazing thing is that, HE IS ALWAYS THERE and He ALWAYS HELPS ME! This means so much to me! He wants to help us and to guide us along our way. If He commands something of us, He will have a way for it to happen. We need to have that faith and gain that trust of Him. 

The Bible does not say much about Enoch and his people --- it contains 109 word about Enoch and his day. By contrast, the Joseph Smith Translation account of Enoch in the book of Moses contains 5,240 words about Enoch's day. Read Genesis 5:22-24; Moses 6:27-29, 47; 7:1-21; and summarize, in writing, what you find. 

I found that Enoch was very precious to God. I found that Enoch walked with God and that God took him. I found that it was through God that Enoch was able to do what the Lord asked of Him. It was because of Enoch's faith and trust in God that he was kept safe and was able to speak clearly. It says many times that God was with Enoch and that Enoch was the mouthpiece for what God wanted His people to hear. I found that through the the hard work and diligence of Enoch the Lord was able to find those people who repented and find Zion. I also learned that those who do not listen to the Lord will be punished and God always follows through with His word. We see this in Moses 7:20 towards the end of the verse, "... Zion have I blessed, but the residue of the people have I cursed."  God is merciful and loving and kind, but he is also a god of justice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment