Who was Melchizedek?
(Genesis 14:18-20;
JST, Genesis 14:25-40)
The priesthood, which is the
authority to act in God’s name, is a basis in the LDS church. It is through the
priesthood that our ordinances are performed. For my friends and family who are
not familiar with the priesthood, I will briefly try to explain it. We use the
power of the priesthood to give blessings and to perform ordinances such as
baptism, marriage, and the power to seal our families together for eternity,
not just in this lifetime.
The
higher priesthood is called the Melchizedek Priesthood. This priesthood is
given to the offices of elder, high priest, patriarch, Seventy, and Apostle.
Now growing up I knew about the Melchizedek Priesthood and I knew some of the
aspects and responsibilities that come with holding this priesthood but I had
never really thought of who Melchizedek was. When I was reading in the Genesis
this week I realized that besides the fact that the higher priesthood was
essentially named after him I didn’t know much. So I researched Melchizedek.
Melchizedek
was a great man. He was a man of mighty faith, he was humble, he wrought
righteousness, the King of Salem, and was approved by God. Melchizedek was a
high priest of the highest God. He was a high priest of the higher order. I may
be wrong about this but from my understanding, Melchizedek lived by the higher
order, not Moses’ law. We learn that Melchizedek blessed Abraham and conferred
the priesthood upon him.
As
mentioned before, Melchizedek was the king of Salem. The people during this
time waxed strong in iniquity and abomination. They had all gone astray.
Melchizedek preached repentance unto them and they repented. After this there
was peace in the Land. Because of this, Melchizedek is also called the Prince
of Peace.
The
name Melchizedek means ‘king of righteousness’. Why is the priesthood called Melchizedek, because,
Melchizedek was such a great high priest. Melchizedek’s name is used to
identify the “Holy Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God.” Before
Melchizedek it was called “the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of
God.” In D&C 107:4 we learn, “out of respect or reverence to the name of
the Supreme Being, to avoid the too frequent repetition of his name, the church
in the ancient days, called that priesthood after Melchizedek, or the
Melchizedek Priesthood.”
The
last thing that I wanted to share with you all was mentioned in a study manual
I use during my scripture study, Institute Student Manual. While reading what
they taught about Melchizedek it said that he was a prototype of the Son of God
himself. A prototype is a person who
is believed to be the typical example or representation for that category.
Melchizedek is a person who is the example or representation of the Son of God.
How cool is that? It testifies to me of what kind of a man Melchizedek was and
that he was sent from God.
I
know that our loving Father in Heaven sent Melchizedek here as an example and
guiding beacon for us. I know that God sends prophets in our day and the days
of Melchizedek to watch over us, his children, and guide us. I know that the
priesthood is the power of God and if we are worthy we are able to access a
portion of that authority. I know that the priesthood has blessed my home and
my family. I have seen the blessings my dad receives from being worthy to hold
the priesthood and I remember how lucky I am that my dad has it. I love this church and the blessing I have received for my faith. I love my savior and brother, Jesus Christ and my Father in Heaven. I know they live and that love us and are always here for us. I know that prayer is a gift and that when we pray God hears us.
*** Talking about prophets in our day, The Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS or Mormons), will be having our General
Conference this weekend. This is a great opportunity to hear from our church
leaders and the apostles and prophets that our God has ordained for us. I
encourage you to watch at least 1 session. Whether you are LDS or not, there is
something you can learn. There is something that can touch your heart and help
you with what you are struggling with. God hears us, God loves us, and He wants
us to come unto Him. Conference is on Saturday, October 4 and Sunday, October 5
at 10am and 2pm MST. You can listen on the radio, on the Internet, or on your
TV. I promise that if you listen to conference with a sincere heart God will
touch your heart and give you answers that you seeking.
No comments:
Post a Comment