Monday, April 6, 2015

The Second Coming of Jesus Christ

Zephaniah

            The people in the days of Zephaniah were wicked. They have turned their backs to the Lord and they do not seek the Lord. In the first chapter of Zephaniah the Lord says multiple times that he will “consume all things from off the land” and “also will I punish all those that leap on the threshold, which fill their masters’ houses with violence and deceit.” Among these wicked people though there are those who are righteous. To these people the Lord will stretch out his hand to them and protect them. This compares to our day very well. We have those who are wicked and who turn away from the Lord, and these people will be punished for their sins. We also have those who are very righteous, who are turning towards the Lord and who try to live their lives how Christ did. To these souls, the Lord will stretch out his hand to them and will protect them.


            These scriptures also talk about the Second Coming of our Savior Jesus Christ. Zephaniah 1:14 says, “The great day of the Lord is near, it is near, and hasteneth greatly, even the voice of the day of the Lord: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.” We could read on to verse 15 that says, “That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness.”
            It is through these verses that we can recognize the significance and the parallel to the present day. The day that Christ comes again is coming and it is near. If we are faithful we will be protected and we will be hid from his wrath and the destruction. If we are wicked and turn away from the Lord then we will face his wrath.

            Now, this could be a cause of concern, worry, and fear for a lot of people. Even if we are living our life as best as we can and are truly trying to be Christlike and to live our lives accordingly, we often feel like we are inadequate and like we are not good enough. The thought of the second coming can be scary if we are not living our lives how we should be and if we are not prepared. Being prepared is the key. What are some other ways that we can be prepared for the Second Coming of the Lord?
            Zephaniah 2:1-3 gives us some great answers to that question. We need to gather ourselves together. We need to gather around those who are also trying to live their lives as Christ did. This will help us stay with those who will help us push ourselves to become better and become the person we know we can become. We also need to seek the Lord, seek meekness, and seek righteousness. Verse 3 says that if we do these things “ye shall be hid in the day of the Lord’s anger.” We also need to be humble. Staying humble will allow us to see when we need to change something. It will allow us to become more Christlike and it will help us stay prepared for the Second Coming of the Lord.



           
            Lets focus on the Second Coming and what it entails. One question that comes to mind is how will the Lord destroy the wicked? This is not an easy question to answer for me but I will share with you a couple scriptures that help clarify this for me. We learn in D&C 5:19 that there will be a desolating scourge and it shall go forth among the inhabitants of the earth. If the people don’t repent then the inhabitants of the earth will be consumed away and be utterly destroyed by the brightness of his coming. The wicked that are not destroyed before the Second Coming will not be able to withstand the Lord’s power and glory and cannot dwell in righteousness. We also learn in Joseph Smith—History 1:27 that the earth will burn as an oven and those that are wicked will burn as stubble. That doesn’t sound pleasant at all. I will definitely do what I can right now so when the Lord comes again I will not be burned with the wicked.

            Zephaniah 3:9 teaches that Christ will “turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to serve him with one content.” At first I wondered if it could mean that we will all speak one language, one that we currently have or a new language, or be able to understand every language. This is important for missionary work as well as being able to come together as children of God and serve him. At the end of the verse it says the purpose of having this pure language is so that we serve him, the Lord, with one content. Content in this context means unity. Having a pure language that everyone can understand helps us be able to come together in unity and serve him as one. This is very important.

            A phrase that is said in Zephaniah a few times is  “… be glad and rejoice with all the heart…” Why will we be able to rejoice? We can be glad and rejoice because the Lord will take away our judgments and cast out our enemy and we will not see evil anymore. This is definitely something to be glad and rejoice about! No judgment. No more evil will be seen! That is huge!

            The last question that I would like to bring up is, where will the Lord be? This seems like an obvious answer to me but I thought that it is an important concept to bring up. The Lord will be in the midst of us. He will save us, and rejoice over us with joy, he will rest in his love, and he will joy over thee with singing (Zephaniah 3:17).  During this time, the millennium, the Lord will not only be with us as he is now, he will be in the midst of us. How comforting and exciting is that thought. We will be around us, rejoice with us, love us and he will “turn back [our] captivity before [our] eyes” (Zephaniah 3:20).




            The Second Coming is near and we have no need to fear if we are prepared. There will be much destruction for the wicked, but if we are righteous we will be hid from the Lord’s wrath and destruction. During the millennium we will be united and work together to serve the Lord. And I know that the Lord will always be with us, helping us, guiding us, counseling us, loving us, and rooting for our success. I know that he will soon be in the midst of us. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and that he loves me more than I can comprehend. I know that I want to be just like him and be the best that I know, and he knows, that I can be. I love my Savior and am so thankful for his sacrifice for my sake and for the sake of those whom I love dearly. I know that he lives and that he is my Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment