This post today is a paper that i wrote for my final in my Old Testament class. I just wanted to share this and bear testimony of everything I said in this. I hope you read this and are strengthened or it makes you think about your own testimony. I love my Savior and my God. Merry Christmas and think of the Savior at this time of year! It is because of him, he is the reason to the season. :) I hope you enjoy this post.
___________________________
This
semester I have learned a lot. I studied Genesis to 2 Samuel. This was a great
opportunity for me because I had wanted to learn the stories of the Bible
better. Every week I was enlightened by the principles that I had learned. I
grew from reading the viewpoints of others in my class and most importantly
through sharing what I was learning through my blog. I found that this
strengthened my testimony immensely. There were three principles that really
stuck out to me and influenced me throughout all the readings. These three
principles I would like to share are; Repentance, God looketh on the heart, and
God is our rock and salvation.
Repentance
and forgiveness are very important parts of our lives. We learn that we have
the potential to become like our Father in Heaven. The biggest trial that we
must overcome to become like him is the fact that he is perfect and we are not.
One pathway that He has given us to help us overcome this is through our
Saviors atonement and the repentance process. Moses 6:57 says, “…all men,
everywhere, must repent, or they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God, for
no unclean thing can dwell there, or dwell in his presence…” This scripture
emphasizes that everyone, every man, must repent. Sometimes when we are doing
good, and possibly on our way to being a little prideful, it is harder to see
our faults and the things to repent for. This reminded me that, even during
those times (maybe especially during those times) we need to repent, and we
need to repent frequently.
Repentance
is something that we learn constantly, it is something that is stressed in the
scriptures and in our church meetings. I have noticed that a day doesn’t go by
in my personal scripture study that repentance is not preached.
We learn in Moses 5:10 that when we see our
transgressions and when we repent of those transgressions we are not only
blessed but we will find joy. We learn in Moses 5:15 that those who choose not
to repent should be damned, and Moses 6:29 says, “…they have brought upon
themselves death; and a hell I have prepared for them, if they repent not;”
We know that we need to repent and that it is a very
important part of our lives. Repentance is a huge part of us becoming clean so
that we can live with our Heavenly Father again and become like him. I want
more than anything to become like my Heavenly Father, I want to see him again
and to embrace him and simply be in his presence. The only way that I can do
that is if I am clean, the repentance process is how I can be forgiven for
sinning and not being perfect.
There is another side to repentance and that is
forgiveness. Exodus 32:32-33 teaches us to forgive others. If we are expecting
God to forgive us then we must forgive others. When we repent our sin is blotted out in his book. We need
to also have this state of mind when we are forgiving others, especially when
it is hard to forgive them.
Something that brings me great peace is the second
principle I would like to share; God looketh on the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7, “… for the Lord seeth not
as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh
on the heart.” This brings me peace and comfort on many different levels.
First, it
gives me comfort to know that God knows my heart and that when I sin he knows
the intent of my heart and actions. This does not excuse my behavior but it
makes me happy to know that God knows my heart and my intentions. People make
mistakes and sometimes people to things to be malicious, God knows this and
will judge them accordingly; He knows where their heart is and has the full
perspective. God knows where my heart is and knows that I try my best to do
what is right, to avoid sin as much as I can, and he knows that I want to be
obedient. He knows that as much as I try to do what is right I will sin
sometimes. I am glad that the person who will be judging me knows my heart and
see’s the whole perspective.
When I get overwhelmed with life and feel that I am
failing at this I think to myself that God knows where my heart is, he knows
that I am trying to be my best and when I sit across from him on judgment day
he will know that I tried. This is what helps me push through and not get
discouraged.
“ The Lord liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted
be the God of the rock of my salvation” (2 Samuel 22:47). God is my rock and my
salvation and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I need him and I want him with
me every step of my journey here on earth.
In 2 Samuel, chapter 22, verse 2, David talks about how
God is his rock, his fortress, and his deliverer. I also have a testimony in
this. It is just like the primary song says, if we build our foundation on a
rock, our savior and God, then we will stand strong in times of tempests. It
can be hard sometimes to do this and to live our lives this way, but we will be
blessed and our families will be blessed. This can sometimes be hard for us
because Satan knows how important having God as our rock is and wants us to
falter and fail at this. We need to stand strong and have our eyes single to
the Lord and we will be blessed beyond comprehension and we will stand strong
in our times of trial and be humble in those times we are blessed.
Satan is trying to tear us down, he is trying to get us
to fall, and he doesn’t want us to get back to our Heavenly Father. In Genesis
18:14 we learn that with God all things are possible, nothing is too hard for
the Lord. Because I know this I want someone like him to be on my side always,
and to be the steadiness in the storm. I want someone who I trust and have
faith in to be the foundation that keeps me steady and is rooting for me. Who
better to be my rock and my salvation than the person that I am striving to
become? If the Lord is my rock and my salvation I can be strong and I can be
courageous to stand up for what is right and what I know to be true.
I will keep myself sanctified, pure, and clean so that
I can always have my Lord as my rock and my salvation. I will keep myself
sanctified, pure, and clean so that he will always be by my side to help me,
guide me, and forgive me.
It is
because I love my God that I will “ … keep his charge, and his statutes, and
his judgments, and his commandments, alway,” (Deuteronomy 11:1). It is because
I love him that I will, “… rejoice in every good thing which the Lord thy God
hath given unto thee…” (Deuteronomy 26:11).
I have learned so much this semester and could have
written so much more. I love my Heavenly Father and I need him. I have a
testimony of repentance and forgiveness. I have a testimony that ‘God looketh
on the heart.’ And I have a testimony that my Lord is my rock and my salvation
and though him I can be with God again.
No comments:
Post a Comment